Saturday, December 31, 2016

ABC Reads: December Review


Today is the day to link up your ABC Reads!!   

Here's a refresher on the terms of the challenge in case you missed it previously:

What does the challenge entail?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  There are 26 letters of the alphabet and Mia and I challenge you, during the course of 2016, to read a book that starts with each letter.  For example, Atonement (A), The Bell Jar (B), Catching Fire (C), and so on.  Makes sense, right? You don't need to go in order - if you want to start with S, go for it.  On the last day of each month, we'll host a link-up for you to share your ABC Reads.  We will award one point for each letter you review AND a bonus point for linking up with us!  At the end of the year (or when the first participant reviews a book beginning with each of the 26 letters), the winner will be awarded a $30 Amazon gift card. Congrats to challenge winner, Jessica from Frikken Duckie!

I finished the ABC Reads Challenge!! It took me the entire year, but I made it! I really enjoyed finding some great books. This month, I completed the following letters: Q and Z.  Here are my thoughts...


Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices, & Priorities of a Winning Life by Tony Dungy

I can't believe I didn't read this one earlier. I've had an autographed copy sitting on my bookshelf for nearly a decade, but for some reason I never read through it. Tony Dungy is one of my favorite people so it was no shock that I was both amazed and inspired by his words. He is such a man of faith! I loved hearing more about his younger years and how he was shaped and molded by his parents. The ups and downs of his early football life were interesting, but the life lessons he shared were invaluable. I am looking forward to delving into his other books soon.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

I struggled to get through portions of this one. I liked the idea of telling the Fitzgerald's story through Zelda's perspective, but I just wanted a little more fact and a little less storytelling. I also didn't really find either Zelda or Scott to be characters I really wanted to root for in this book. They both were immature and a bit annoying at times. I had some trouble keeping focus on this one over the trajectory of the story, but there were bits and pieces that I found compelling. If you enjoy American literature, I think you might find it more enjoyable than I did.  

What have you been reading this month?


Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment