Thursday, October 13, 2016

Broadway Week - Waitress

I've had my eye on the show Waitress since the early part of the summer. Sara Bareilles wrote the music and lyrics - I have always liked her! And I really enjoy the Keri Russell movie that comes on TV from time to time. I knew it would be a fun production to see on the stage.


Over the summer, I also started Erin's Book Challenge and chose Sara Bareilles' book Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song as my music category selection. I loved the book. She began each chapter with the lyrics from one of her songs and tied that song into her journey at that point her life. It was really interesting and well written. And the last chapter focused on her work with Broadway, specifically on the show Waitress. I knew I had to see the show after finishing her book.


I grabbed a matinee ticket for the following week and was thrilled from start to finish. The show was full of one-liners and comedic scenes, but also carried the full weight of an abusive relationship and all the unfulfilled feelings that brings to life. I thought it was neat how the band was incorporated as part of the set in the diner scenes with the piano top serving as a counter - very creative! And the cast is extremely talented. You will laugh without a doubt many times. The performance really surprised me, but in the best way possible. I enjoyed every moment!


Have you ever seen the movie version of Waitress? 
What were your thoughts?

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment