Friday, October 14, 2016

Broadway Week - The Color Purple


It is rare that I see a Broadway show twice. Especially twice in one year, but The Color Purple is a show for which exception are made. I saw this one with some friends around the holidays last year, but couldn't pass up the chance to see it again with my parents, Chris, and his mom recently.


We weren't fortunate enough to catch Cynthia Erivo as Celie this time, but Heather Headley as Shug Avery was a welcome change. I saw a disappointing Jennifer Hudson in that role previously. Heather had all the sass and seduction that Shug Avery needs. She was fantastic! The understudy for Celie had quite a voice on her as well. Nothing beats Cynthia, but she sure did give it a shot. The story is amazing and seeing it come to life on stage is truly beautiful. If you are headed to NYC and need a friend to accompany you to this one, let me know. I'd happily see it over and over again!

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment