Monday, June 6, 2016

LIC Living


When we moved to LIC (Long Island City) a couple of years ago, I had my doubts about the area.  It was a far cry from my previous anything and everything at your fingertips midtown Manhattan location.  And, of course, it involved the subway - ugh!!  Fortunately, it didn't take me long to warm up to the area.  Not to mention the fact that it has grown by leaps and bounds in just those two short years!


One of my favorite parts of LIC is the waterfront park area.  We stumbled upon it when roaming around the neighborhood our first Spring.  I've done most of my short runs in that area over the past year, and I've really grown to love it.  And you can't beat the view there!  Fast forward to about a month ago when we decided to check out the LIC Springs festival over on Vernon Blvd and discovered an upcoming inaugural Run the Waterfront 5k.  Needless to say, we promptly signed up.


The 5k was a run/walk format and really just a fun way for locals to celebrate life in LIC.  Chris and I were pumped to find out we'd be able to walk to the start!  We really enjoyed the experience from bib pick up at LIC Landing (complete with a free drink!) to running through familiar streets together.  We weren't the fastest in the bunch, but we really enjoyed the community feel of the race day experience.  Definitely something we would do again!


Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment