Friday, November 20, 2015

The Fall Film Challenge - Bonus Reviews #2


Check out Bonus Round Review #1 here.

10/29 - While We're Young (2014)- Ben Stiller
3 out of 5 stars


This one surprised me.  I had it pegged for a slap stick comedy of sorts, but it was so much more.  The amount of drama running through the film caught me off guard. I really liked the twist toward the end even though it didn't exactly pan out the way one particular character was expecting.  This was certainly worth watching, but it got a bit long in the middle.

10/29 - A Man Apart (2003) - Vin Diesel
4 out of 5 stars


Great movie!  I really enjoyed this one.  The story was captivating.  It provided an element of mystery and each character was intriguing.  The only downfall was the extremely violent aspect of it all.  I'm not one that loves seeing a lot of blood and guts on the screen.

10/30 - The Last Song (2010) - Miley Cyrus
4 out of 5 stars


Your typical Nicholas Sparks romance movie, but I very much enjoyed it. As always, the main characters fall madly in love within a matter of minutes and there is a tragedy that ensues, but I was able to relate to this one more than most for some reason.  And I really liked the musical element to it.  If you haven't seen this one, grab some tissues and give it a go.

10/30 - Running With Scissors (2006) -Gwyneth Paltrow
2 out of 5 stars


I selected this one because I attempted to read the book with the same title two separate times.  I should have realized that it would be out of this world bizarre on screen because that is what drove me away from the book - both times!  I struggled through this one, but the ending kinda made up for all the insanity in between.  I liked how it wrapped up.

10/31 - Grudge Match (2013) - Sylvester Stallone
4 out of 5 stars


A comedy after my own heart.  It wasn't that slapstick stupid stuff or gag jokes or offensive.  It was just funny.  Both Stallone and DeNiro were great.  And Kevin Hart just made it that much better!  Both "fighters" had faults, but I enjoyed engaging with the story each of them had to tell.  Watch this one - trust me!

10/31 - Point Break (1991) - Gary Busey
4 out of 5 stars


Another quality movie!  The story was engaging and interesting.  It got a tad long at times, but overall I really enjoyed trying to figure it all out.  Keanu Reeves and Gary Busey are on an undercover mission that takes a multitude of twists and turns along the way.  Surfing is also a major part of the film that really adds a unique element.

11/2 - New in Town (2009) - Renee Zellweger
3 out of 5 stars


I laughed SO much throughout this movie.  It reminded me of home where everyone is always in everyone else's business and church is the center of the universe.  I just loved the characters and their classic lines!  The reason I didn't give it more stars is that the overall story line is just too far fetched and hokey.  I loved the characters, but the story left a little to be desired.
 
11/2 - No Strings Attached (2011) - Ashton Kutcher
2 out of 5 stars


Not my kind of movie at all.  I'm not a fan of the sleep around for fun thought process so I had a VERY difficult time buying into this movie.  I mean, obviously they are going to fall in love!!  However, there were a handful of pretty funny scenes that had me letting out a bit of a laugh so it wasn't a total waste!

11/2 - Accepted (2006) - Justin Long
2 out of 5 stars


This one is your typical college comedy with a very moderate amount of seriousness.  It was ok.  I just feel like there are SO many of these type of movies that they just start blurring together after awhile.  And, of course, it was completely outlandish!  

11/2 - Alex Cross (2012) - Tyler Perry
5 out of 5 stars


Wow!  I totally did not expect to like this one as much as I did.  I was sucked in from the VERY beginning!  I'm talking completely engrossed.  It was a psychological thriller, and I loved trying to figure it out.  I've always liked Tyler Perry in a serious role - he was great in this movie!  Definitely recommend watching this one.  In fact, the movie has tempted me to pick up a few of the James Patterson novels in the Alex Cross series.  This one was fantastic!
 
11/2 - True Story (2015) - Jonah Hill
5 out of 5 stars


Another psychological thriller of sorts.  It doesn't exactly fit that category to the fullest, but it covers enough of the bases.  It is also based on a true story...in case the title didn't give it away!  Total double whammy for me!  I couldn't take my eyes away from the screen for a moment.  It was a fascinating story that had my mind going a million miles an hour.  Great movie!  Well done by all involved!
 
11/2 - The Promotion (2008) - John C. Reilly 
1 out of 5 stars


Unfortunately, the challenge ended with a dud for me.  This movie was just weird...and sorta boring, too.  I mean, the competition element was ok, but neither guy was very likable at all.  It just wasn't good.  I was so happy when the credits finally began to roll.  Please, do not watch this movie.

And there you have it - I completed the challenge and bonus round roughly a month early!  I didn't start off as strong as some of the others in the group due to a busy September, but I really stepped my movie-watching game up in October.  I have both plane and train travel to thank for allowing me some weekday time for watching...and a much needed day of rest after finishing the NYC Marathon!  And, of course, the Queens Library was critical.  Honestly, I can't believe I watched 50 movies in such a short time period, but I am glad that I pushed myself to hang in there with the challenge because I was the FIRST to finish all 50 movies!!  I am SO excited about winning the challenge!  I feel strangely proud...and hopefully, you have discovered a movie or two or three that you want to see as a result!  Thanks again to Jenn at Quirky Pickings for hosting such a great challenge!  And to my husband for helping me select and watch all these movies!!

Andrea :)

2 comments:

  1. i'm supremely proud! only one person finished the regular list last year, and she didn't finish the bonus. that you did all FIFTY is fanfuckingtastic. :] go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New in Town is one of my favorite movies! Also - not too far fetched. That is pretty much Minnesotan life to a T. My husband and I saw this when it first came out, and we just could not stop laughing for all the accuracies. "Scrappers", the accents, the hunting scene! I also love it because it's so me - Florida girl comes to MN in the dead of winter. So unprepared! I love that it has a happy ending, too.

    ReplyDelete