Monday, October 19, 2015

The Fall Flim Challenge: October Recap


Since I completed my original challenge list by mid-October, this update is a little early!  I am proud of the fact that I didn't make any changes to my original list.  That means there were some great ones and some terrible ones so be sure to scroll through the entire post.  PS - some of the really good ones are toward the bottom!

10/2 - The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
Watched for any Disney movie.
3 out of 5 stars
 

Disney always does great work....even back in the 80's.  The story was your typical Disney model with everything working out in the end with lots of drama in between.  I'm pretty sure my niece and nephew would love it!

10/2 - White Chicks (2004)
Watched for any movie with white or black in the title.
3 out of 5 stars 


I am a big Wayans brothers fan so this movie was right up my alley.  Laughter was common throughout.  And it was incredibly amazing how these two black men were transformed into white women.  Quite impressive make-up work in this one!

10/5 - Loser (2000)
Watched for a film with an actress having my same name.
1 out of 5 stars


It was extremely difficult to find ANY movies that had a theatrical release with an actress named Andrea in them so I considered it a win that we even found Loser.  However, the movie accurately described itself.  It was a dud.  There weren't really any scenes that I can even highlight as having potential.  It reminded me a bit of a hallmark movie in several ways.

10/9 - All the President's Men (1976)
Watched for any movie on Time's Top Ten Newspaper Movies.
3 out of 5 stars


As an Oscar-nominated best picture, I welcomed this film to my list. And it mostly delivered.  I definitely enjoyed it, but there were points where it started to drag a bit too long.  I'm familiar with the Watergate scandal so I think I just wanted them to move along more quickly.  It was interesting to see the writers smoking in the office and using rotary phones.  Some things have changed quite a bit since then!!

10/10 - Superman Returns (2006)
Watched for a film about a superhero.
2 out of 5 stars


I'm not an action movie fan.  Or a superhero fan, really.  I wasn't too excited about this one, but I managed to enjoy the story more than I anticipated.  I just couldn't grasp how Lois Lane didn't realize that Clark Kent and Superman were the same person.  Talk about a low maintenance costume!  At least Batman wears a mask, right?

10/10 -  Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)
Watched for any movie set in Egypt OR with an Egyptian character OR starring an Egyptian. actor/actress.
1 out of 5 stars


I didn't love this one for many of the same reasons that I didn't love Noah.  It was far more complex and interesting that Noah though so I did give it one star.  After watching this one, I remembered why I don't watch Bible movies that are made for entertainment value rather than accuracy.  The TV series that Mark Burnett and Roma Downey produced a couple years ago was far better than these two movies...if you ask me.

10/11 - King Arthur (2004)
Watched for a film about a knight.
3 out of 5 stars


Surprisingly, given my dislike for action movies, I liked this one.  I didn't really enjoy the battle scenes, but the knights were all incredibly likable.  I found myself pulling for them at each turn.  It was also great to have some humor written into the script.  Definitely need a laugh or two after watching a mass slaughter of humanity!

10/11 - Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay (2008)
Watched for movie incorporating unicorns in the story.
1 out of 5 stars


Yeah...this movie was just not for me.  Maybe I would have enjoyed it more 10 or so years ago, but today it was just crude and stupid.  Neil Patrick Harris was the saving grace for me.  How can you not like NPH?!?!  And, of course, he summoned the unicorn incorporation that was needed to check this one off the list!

10/12 - No Country For Old Men (2007)
Watched for movie mentioned in Levi Strauss' Denim in the Oscars: A Look at Jeans in Cinema.
4 out of 5 stars


I had high expectations for this movie since it racked up at the Oscars. Thankfully, it didn't disappoint!  It kept me on the edge of my seat.  Totally creepy.  The characters were all fantastic.  I loved all the random people that Mr. Crazy Guy interacted with throughout the course of his search for the missing money.  Great movie!

10/12 - Dumb and Dumber To (2014)
Watched for movie featuring an idiot as the main character.
1 out of 5 stars


Wow!  This one brought on a whole new level of stupid.  Not just one idiot was the main character - this movie had two!  I think I would have enjoyed it more if the release had followed the original by 3-5 years rather than two decades.  It was just too much ridiculousness for me.

10/13 - Parenthood (1989)
Watched for any movie with a score of 90% or greater on rotten tomatoes.
4 out of 5 stars


Lots of laughs in this true to life version of family chaos.  The TV series Parenthood (which I'm currently watching on Netflix) is loosely based on the characters in this movie.  Any family drama/comedy always does it for me cause I can usually totally identify with at least one character!

10/14 - The Judge (2014)
Watched for a movie about personal victory.
5 out of 5 stars


I really liked this movie.  It was easily my favorite for the full list of 25 for the challenge.  The family drama films are truly my cup of tea.  There is always someone that you can identify with in some form or fashion.  I enjoyed all the various angles this film took along the way.  Definitely recommend giving it a watch if you are looking for a quality movie night!

10/14 - A Most Violent Year (2014)
Watched for a movie set in New York City.
2 out of 5 stars


This movie had promise.  It really did.  But it just moved SO darn slow.  It was a struggle to make it to the end though things did pick up a bit about an hour and fifteen minutes in!  Compelling story, but needed a more prevalent boost of action throughout.

10/15 - Foxcatcher (2014)
Watched for a movie about the Olympics.
4 out of 5 stars


Wow!  Fabulous acting in this film.  The characters certainly have interesting personalities and quirks.  It did seem a bit long at times, but overall it was a great movie.  Definitely recommend checking it out...especially if you want to see Steve Carell at his finest!

I completed the original challenge list of 25 movies on October 15 coming in 5th out of 20 participants.  Fortunately, there is a bonus round!  It was posted on the 15th so stay tuned for my official bonus list and updates on those movies...I think there will be some good ones in that mix!

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment