Friday, October 2, 2015

Book Club: Calling Me Home

Our rooftop desk served as the meeting spot for my NYC book club at the end of September. I pieced together some honey teriyaki glazed chicken kabobs with a side of quinoa for dinner as I played hostess. I wanted to make sure this lovely group was able to experience a gorgeous sunset and some time outside before it got too chilly for us to enjoy it! We always have a great time catching up...and eventually delving into a discussion on our most recent book.


Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler is nothing short of phenomenal.  I read it in three days because I simply could NOT put it down.  And after I finished reading, I proceeded to regurgitate the whole story to Chris because I wanted to keep thinking and talking about it.  The main story in the novel unfolds as Miss Isabelle and her beloved hairdresser, Dorrie, begin a road trip from Texas to Isabelle's former stomping grounds in northern Kentucky.  They are headed to a funeral, but it remains a mystery as to who is being laid to rest.  In her present-day nineties, Isabelle divulges her young adult romance with Robert, a black man.  He assisted her father with odd tasks around the house while his mother and sister worked in the kitchen and did the cleaning for the McAllister family in this 1940's segregated way of life.  Obviously, the relationship was forbidden, but that didn't hinder Isabelle and Robert too much.  I'll stop there, but believe me when I say you will be hooked from the start with this book.


I selected this one for two reasons - the main story takes place in and around my native Kentucky AND interracial love is my reality today.  It was quite shocking to notice that while things have certainly changed, there is still much progress to be made in the way of racial equality. Chris and I have an official marriage license from the state of Kentucky, but many before us didn't have that luxury.  Times are changing, but not nearly fast enough.  I identified closely with Calling Me Home, but I believe this book has the power to resonate with all people.  I highly suggest this one! 

Andrea :)

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I have read all the books on my list so I am definitely going to download this one on my kindle this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this last year and really enjoyed it. It was a very interesting read!

    ReplyDelete