Friday, September 11, 2015

An Unthinkable Tragedy


An unthinkable tragedy struck our nation 14 years ago today.  I remember exactly where I saw the twin towers tumble into ash.  The sight was so unfathomable that I actually thought it was a movie.  It couldn't be real.  It couldn't be happening in America.  It just couldn't.


But it was.  And nearly 3,000 people lost their lives.  Some were travelers heading out on their next adventure, some were professionals taking part in a one-day conference, some were servicemen who risk their lives regularly to save those in need.  No matter who they were, they should still be here with us today.  Instead, an act of violence so vile that no words can do it justice took them.


Visiting the 9/11 Memorial Museum over the holiday weekend forced me to relive this horrendous day all over again.  And it made me realize each day is precious.  Every moment in time fits together with the next.  Some lives were spared by acts as simple as a morning eye exam while other required bold and brave action in the face of death to rescue others.  Life is a fragile thing.  We must use each day wisely.


If you ever have a chance to visit the 9/11 memorial fountains, I encourage you to spend a few hours in the museum as well.  It is a phenomenal tribute to the lives lost.  One room is entirely dedicated to them.  There are interactive elements that allow you to learn about each person as a way to honor their memory.  I could have spent hours scrolling through the names there.


The historical rooms recounting the tragedy and aftermath are incredible.  Parts of these rooms are difficult to digest providing a true emotional reflection on that day.   The detail is impeccable...perhaps even overwhelming.  I suggest allowing several hours to really see it all.


I've never been to a museum that was more meaningful.  Maybe it's because I remember these events actually occurring rather than just reading about them in a history book.  Maybe it's because of the scope of the tragedy and the way it has forever changed our lives.  Maybe it's because I live in New York City now.  Whatever the reason, I highly suggest checking it out for yourself.

Andrea :)

1 comment:

  1. I remember that day very well.... my heart still breaks and I can't watch the footage without crying. Visiting Ground Zero was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I cannot image having been there. Beautiful tribute Andrea!

    ReplyDelete