Tuesday, June 2, 2015

#MarriedMaitlands: Ceremony Details


Our ceremony included a handful of personal moments.  We knew early in the planning process that we wanted to write our own vows to one another, but most of the other elements came to me along the way.



In the vestibule of the church, we arranged a table with wedding photos of our parents, a framed image that matched our invitations, and our programs. Inside our programs, we included an insert that described my something old, new, borrowed, and blue. 

That Something Special
 
{something old}
THE BRIDE IS WEARING HER MOTHER’S VEIL FOR THE
WEDDING CEREMONY
 
{something new}
THE BEAUTIFUL WEDDING GOWN
 
{something borrowed}
THE BRIDE HAS BORROWED JEWELRY FROM HER AUNT MILDRED
 
{something blue}
THE BRIDE’S SHOES
 
{and a sixpence in her shoe}
 THE BRIDE BROUGHT BACK A SIXPENCE FROM LONDON WHEN SHE
STUDIED ABROAD THERE IN 2006


Unfortunately, neither Chris nor I have any living grandparents.  Since I was very close to my Mamaw, I was determined to incorporate her in some way on this big day.  I have her engagement ring and wedding band (they are sautered together) so I pinned those into my bouquet.  And, I carried a penny from the year she was born in one of my shoes. 


During the ceremony, we used the God's Knot to signify our unity with one another and Christ.  This was one of my favorite parts of the ceremony.  My cousin, Tricia, read the below message and scripture as Chris held the start of the three cords and I braided them together.  This is also where I had my Men of Honor assist in the ceremony.  Jordan brought the cords to us and McKinley took them back after we were finished.


Today, Christopher and Andrea have chosen to braid three strands together into a single cord.  Each strand has a significant meaning.  The gold strand represents God and His majesty.  The purple strand represents the groom and his life.  The white strand represents the bride and her life.  In braiding these three strands together, Christopher and Andrea have demonstrated that their marriage is more than a joining of two lives together.  It is a unity with God as well.  They have chosen to allow God to be at the center of their marriage, woven into every aspect of it.  


As Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 reads, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work.  If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?  Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."


Chris' cousin, Paula, read the other passage we selected - 1 Corinthians 13.  This scripture passage is fairly common at weddings...often being referred to as the Love Chapter.


And finally, it was time to seal the deal with a kiss and be announced for the first time as Mr. and Mrs.


 
We are officially #MarriedMaitlands!!
 
Andrea :)

4 comments:

  1. Your wedding was so sweet and perfect! I love these posts it makes your readers feel like we were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the personal touches :) Your shoes are so so cute, btw! I don't know if I'd seen them in a post yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love that photo of the bible and the rings that makes a heart!! I love that you shared this special part of your ceremony :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved that verse about a cord of three strands and incorporating it into making a braid during your ceremony is such a great idea! What a special moment and momento that you will keep forever.

    ReplyDelete