Thursday, February 12, 2015

Best Picture Review: Selma


Summary via Fandango:

David Oyelowo stars as Martin Luther King, Jr. in this historical drama set during the height of the American civil rights movement.  Its focus is set on depicting the marches from Selma, AL, to the state capital of Montgomery to secure voting rights for black people.

My Thoughts:

I thought this movie was phenomenal.  Very moving, relevant, and important.  I (along with many other Americans) was stunned by its limited Oscar nods.  Particularly for Actor.  Given all the recent race turmoil in Ferguson, Staten Island, and many other less publicized areas of our country, this movie was released with perfect timing.  I enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes strategy and conversations that took place around the march.  After seeing All the Way - a broadway show focused on LBJ's time in office - last year, this movie served as a wonderful compliment allowing me to see the same time period in history portrayed from a different viewpoint.  It was so hard to wrap my mind around the fact that this moment in history was not so long ago.  My parents remember it.  Truly unbelievable how our country could still be stuck in so many of the same mindsets when it comes to race.  I don't get it.  Likely never will.  But I am glad that this group of artists took the time to make a film that captures so well what this particular time in history meant for SO many people.  I would not only recommend, but also ask that each and every one of you watch this film.

Other Nominations:
Music (Original Song - "Glory")

Did you see Selma?  Were you surprised by its limited Oscar nominations?

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment