Friday, September 19, 2014

Book Review: The First Phone Call From Heaven


Mitch Albom is one of my favorite authors hands down.  I like his writing style and his stories.  My dad gave me The First Phone Call From Heaven for Christmas this past year.  Guess it goes without saying it has been a busy few months since I am just now getting a chance to read it.


The setting for the story takes place during the winter in Coldwater, Michigan.  Random people begin receiving phone calls from deceased loved ones without explanation.  Each person reacts in their own way, but these calls are oddly timed with Sully Harding's release from prison.  Skeptical Sully makes it his mission to find out who is making these calls before he receives one himself.


I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars.  I liked it, but I didn't love it.  I thought the story moved very slowly.  I also predicted the ending about halfway through the book.  Maybe I've just read too much Mitch Albom, but I thought this one wasn't quite as good as the others.  It didn't make me think like most of his other books.  I didn't find myself challenged like I had at the end of his other books.  Don't get me wrong though, I did like it.  It kept my interest, and I enjoyed it.  It just didn't measure up to all the others.  If you like small town mysteries, definitely give it a shot.  If you are looking for a Mitch Albom classic try The Five People You Meet in Heaven or The Time Keeper instead.

Andrea :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read a Mitch Albom book, but I know so many people who really enjoy him. I do think it'd be fun to eventually get to one of his books though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact same thoughts. I love his books and also received this for Christmas. I finally started reading it this summer and I wasn't that impressed. It was an okay story, but nothing like his other books.

    ReplyDelete