Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Race Recap: Healthy Kidney UAE 10k

The Healthy Kidney UAE 10k holds a special place in my heart!  I personally know a handful of individuals that have experienced major kidney issues so running this race is particularly meaningful to me.  This year, I decided to give one dollar to The National Kidney Foundation for every minute I was on the course!


Unfortunately, this race didn't start off too great for me.  I got to the start plenty early, but convinced myself there wasn't time for one last bathroom stop.  As you might guess, this proved to be a mistake.  That became certain at the end of mile one.  I suffered through another mile, but had to stop for roughly 5 minutes (yes, I timed it) to wait in line for the port-o-potties.  Not fun.  I never quite managed to get back into the run.  And it had suddenly become SO hot and humid.  Seriously, I was just one sticky mess by the time I saw Christopher around the mile five marker.  I wanted to quit, but I reminded myself of the reason for the run and pushed to the finish.


I thought I had the most terrible run of my life when I finally made it to the finish line.  You can imagine my surprise when I checked NYRR online results a couple hours later and discovered that I finished with a total time of 1:21:32 at 13:08 minute miles.  Not great for me, but I've definitely done worse!  Overall, I was pleased with the time given way I felt for all 6.2 miles of this one!

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment