Tuesday, June 3, 2014

If/Then...

There are SO many great shows on broadway right now!  I have seen a handful of them in the past couple of months and with the Tony's coming up on Sunday (yay!), I thought this would be a great time to share all the fun with you!


When I found out Idina was back on the stage, I knew I just had to see this show!!  On top of that, last spring I lucked into a ticket to an awesome program - American Songbook - where Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey were presenting a whole array of their music. I love it!! Idina even performed a couple songs from this show (it was in the works then).  Pretty neat to kind of see it all come full circle :)
 

My friend, Reba, and I attended If/Then in early April.  We loved every minute of the show!  The story follows Idina's character - either Liz or Beth depending on the scene.  She is a newly divorced 39 year old that has moved back to New York City to start over as an urban planner.  As the story unfolds, you follow Elizabeth's life as it pans out in two very different scenerios all based on choices she makes or doesn't make along the way.  The story can get a bit confusing at times, but the vocal talent of Idina makes it worth every second.  She is simply phenomenal.  The rest of the cast is good, but most don't quite match the talent of Idina.


Lucas (Anthony Rapp, pictured left with red hair) and Josh (James Snyder, picture right in the blue shirt) play the two opposites to Beth (Lucas) and Liz (Josh).  Both are interesting characters, but ultimately I prefered her life at Liz.  Maybe it's because that's the life I would have chosen if, of course, I knew what both lives would hold.


Even though the show has some colorful language and controversial topics abound, I would recommend seeing it.  The idea behind the story is one that we all experience in life.  What if I had chosen this instead of that?  What if I had gone instead of stayed at home? What if? What if? What if?  Life is full of what ifs.  And this show allows you to explore the possibilities of seeing both sides...and realizing that no matter which way life takes you, there are always good times and bad times.  That's the thing about life...it never quite pans out exactly how we thought...


If/Then has two Tony nominations.
 
Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre (Music: Tom Kitt
Lyrics: Brian Yorkey)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical (Idina Menzel)

Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment