Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Munich, Germany

After spending a few days in Salzburg, Austria, my friend and I boarded a train for Germany.  We had tickets to an NFL Europa game in Frankfurt for the weekend, but I requested a stop in Munich on the way.  I had never been to Germany and thought that Munich would be a fun city to visit.  I was right! 

Our first stop was the central square called Marienplatz.  We climbed up to the top of one of the buildings (I think it might have been the Old Town Hall) to capture some great shots of the city. 

This is the tower where we took our photos of the city!



I even spotted a May Pole. We did a presentation when I was in elementary school that incorporated a May Pole so I was thrilled to see a real one!



One of the most exciting things we spotted was the New Town Hall that is home to the Glockenspiel.  The glockenspiel is over 100 years old and has 32 life size figures that reenact Bavarian events at 11am and noon each day.  We were fortunate enough to see one of those showings.

 

We also had a great view of the largest church in Munich - Frauenkirche.  The Cathedral of our Blessed Lady can hold up to 20,000 people.  Incredible!


After all that city site seeing, we headed over to Dachau Concentration Camp.  It is about 10 miles northwest of the city center, but was worth the trip.  I had always wanted to see one of these tragic sites firsthand.  It was very sad.  I wrote a little about this portion of the trip here if you want to check out more about my experience.


That night, we made our way to the Hofbrauhaus for dinner and a Radler.  I'm not too keen on German food or their beer, but I had to give it a shot while I was there. 


In the morning, we were off to Frankfurt to watch the Amsterdam Admirals play the Frankfurt Galazy.  More on that fun adventure to come...

Andrea :)

Linking up with Bonnie for Travel Tuesdays!
 
Travel Tuesday

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a great time in Munich. I saw Munich as part of my honeymoon (over Christmas, a really lovely time there) a few years ago and we did a lot of the same things. Dachau was a really sad place, but something everyone should see.

    ReplyDelete