Thursday, June 27, 2013

My first 10k...



I've been recapping the whirlwind London - Paris - Rome - London adventure that I experienced with parents back in 2011 the past few weeks.  Hope you have been enjoying reading about that super fun trip!  I know I will always treasure it!  However, the race I ran the following weekend is one that I'd rather forget.  I contemplated not even writing a recap of this race, but then I realized it is just as important for me to look back on the good racing times as it is the bad racing times.  And this was one of the worst.

It was October 22, 2011, just after returning from the whirlwind European adventure with my parents.  In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have signed up for this race given the surrounding circumstances, but I was oh so excited to be running my first 10k.  That was a distance I hadn't run before.  I had done a handful of 5k races and a couple of half marathons, but never managed to work in a 10k.  I thought this distance would be ideal - challenging, yet not too scary.  And if I had trained properly, I suspect I would have been right.

Pre-race :)

I'll just go ahead and let you know that I logged a time of 1:27:31 for the race.  That put me at over 14 minute miles...not exactly stellar!  I was pretty disappointed, but moreso because I hadn't trained properly than because I had a "slow" time.  Time isn't everything, but at 14+ minute miles a walker couldn't have moved more quickly.  Luckily, I had great support to cheer me up at the finish.  And I learned a valuable lesson - training is critical.  It is a must!  As I am begining to start that process for the NYC Marathon, looking back on this race is a great reminder of why it is important to work hard each day.  The race is only one day, but the lead up to the race is what makes all the difference in that one day going the right way!


Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment