Friday, April 26, 2013

Turkey Trot

On the brink of my first official race of 2013 this Sunday, I thought I would recap one of my most meaningful races. 

In 2010, I decided to run a Turkey Trot.  Originally, the plan was to run this Prospect Park race with a few friends.  In the end, other things came up for each of them and I was left all by myself.  I was pretty bummed about it, but I had been training pretty hard for this race and had set my mind on a goal for the race so I moved forward with my plans to run it. 


After weaving my way through the pre-Macy's Day parade craziness in Times Square, I made my way to the subway where I met a true angel from God - Nancy!  She befriended me immediately upon seeing me all decked out for the race, but alone.  She offered for me to join her small group at the start of the race.  I met that group and though they were not a group I would normally have found myself hanging out with pre-race, on that Thanksgiving Day, they were a true life saver.  They embraced me and encouraged me to fight through the cold and run to my goal time.


My goal was to run the 5 mile race in under an hour.  I knew I was making good time at the beginning of the race, but toward the end I began to fade.  Fortunately, part of my new support group just so happened to be right there along that final mile to cheer me on to meet my goal.  I was so proud!  I finished with a time of 58:12 (just under my goal time!).  I could not have possibly been any happier!


The race was a real turning point for me.  It was the first race that I ran where I had no friends or family members there to cheer me on to the finish.  I learned a lot about the general running community...and myself.  I was so happy they gave us medals for this race because it serves as a physical reminder of God's provision for me.  He provided friends when I really truly needed them.  He provided me the ability to accomplish a goal I set for myself.  He gave me so much to be thankful for on that wonderful Thanksgiving Day!


Andrea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment