Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday Stadium Review - Texans

Houston Texans 

Name of Stadium: Reliant Stadium
Capacity: 71,054
Game Attended: versus Ravens in Fall of 2008
Worked a game at this stadium? Yes, PPK.

I believe this was my first solo work trip.  I had been with the NFL for a little over a year at this point. When I arrived in Houston the night before the event, I took advantage of the nearby Galleria and went shopping.  I had a great time and got some good deals, but when I left the mall I was all turned around and couldn't seem to find my rental car anywhere.  I panicked a little, but then went about trying to retrace my steps and figure out where I had gone wrong.  I must have done this for quite some time because there were less and less cars in the parking lot each time I tried a new exit to the parking garage.  Good for narrowing down which one might be mine, but bad for being noticed by mall security.  Oh, yes.  Mall security came over to help me.  I was that lost.  Needless to say, we all had a good laugh and I eventually found the car.  Thank goodness the rest of the trip went much more smoothly.

The stadium was very nice and fairly new, but had been recently beaten up a bit by some tornado like winds.  The retractable roof took the brunt of the damage, but it wasn't noticeable on this gorgeous fall day.

Outside of Reliant Stadium.
To be honest, I don't remember too much about the game itself or the atmosphere of the stadium.  Since it was my first solo trip, I think I pretty much stayed in the press box and didn't wander too far from there for most of the game.  The most exciting part of the game was that former President George H. W. Bush (or as they called him "41") participated in the coin toss.  This was the first time I had ever been in the same place as a former President so I was quite excited to have that experience...even though I wasn't ever really in the same area of the field as him.

He is the one in the center with the cane.

Unfortunately, I also didn't get very good pictures of the inside of the stadium either.  I did take one of the PPK participants during their exhibition and another of the American flag and Texas flag that I thought was quite interesting.  In the end, I wouldn't mind going back to this stadium as a fan to get a better feel for the environment.  Maybe after I make it to all the other stadiums, I can loop back to this one for a better experience.

I thought it was strange that both flags were the same size.
PPK participants lined up for pre-game exhibition.  This is the best picture I have inside the stadium.

Andrea :)

4 comments:

  1. What a cool post! I love this idea.
    Found you through the GFC hop!

    Heleneinbetween.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower!

    Thank you for linking up with Super Sunday Sync this week. Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cool idea. Except I've only ever been inside two stadiums, so I'd run out of content REALLY fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...I love that you commented on the flag size. As a non-native Texan, I have learned a lot about Texas flag practices. Like the Texas flag is the only state flag that can be flown at the same height (or maybe its higher) than the nations flag. Yeah...Texans are a little prideful. :)

    Thanks for stopping by! So glad you are following along!

    ReplyDelete